Thursday

Sweet Business Life * Utah News Source

What is Utah News Source?
Utah News Source is Salt Lake's best source for sending press releases to the local media. We provide news and information to all Wasatch Front media (this includes print, radio and TV) on a daily basis on our local news wire. We also offer editing and news monitoring services, increase online presence and SEO with our online submissions, and have licensed permission to add your news to Google News.


Why did you start Utah News Source?
I started a successful public relations agency about a year ago after splitting off as the PR manager for a local ad agency. I work with a lot of great clients and have helped them to get the news coverage and social media presence they need. However, I kept coming across small business owners and start ups that just weren't ready for a full-fledged PR campaign. I already knew the power that news wires like PR Web and Business Wire yield. I knew these smaller, local businesses needed a solution that would work for them. I had been thinking about starting something local. One day I was working on my own PR business and out of the blue the name "Utah News Source" just kept coming into my head. I literally couldn't get it out of my head. Everything just rolled out from there. I know there are business owners that really need something like Utah News Source and for whatever reason I was meant to create it for them.


Tell us more about who you -Sarah Buhr- are and where you come from (experience etc):
I grew up in the historic avenues neighborhood. I know most every inch of downtown Salt Lake. My career started with the internship of a lifetime at National Public Radio in Washington, DC. That internship turned into a great job as a production assistant. But I knew in my heart I wanted to be a reporter. So I came back to my home state of Utah after two and half years to take a job as the morning newscaster at KBYU's Classical 89. Then one thing led to another and before I knew it I was a reporter for KSL News radio. I did more long-form NPR-type reporting and recorded a nightly column called"Sarah Jane in the City". Because of my background as a reporter I knew the kind of stuff the media was really looking for and would be more likely to report on. I also had already built great relationships and trust with our local media members. I knew the way to reach them wasn't by selling something, being pushy or insulting their intelligence with fluffy non-news. I knew the best way to help both business clients and the media was by giving media members business stories that they would actually report on. I've carried this over into my own public relations agency, "Big Star PR" as well as with Utah News Source. I include a guide on how to write a press release that gets the media's attention on the Utah News Source website, give news coverage ideas on my weekly blog and provide a weekly newsletter full of great tips to help business owners succeed.

No comments: