Wednesday

One Great Recipe * Lemon Butter Cookies


We love butter cookies in our home. They go so nicely with a cup of milk. These butter cookies are light and crisp. This is our simple recipe which you can mix up to create different flavors. Please note this dough needs to be in the refrigerator for at least an hour so be sure to make it ahead of time. Enjoy!








Lemon Butter Cookies


  • 1cup of softened butter (room temp)
  • 2/3 cup of sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1tsp of lemon extract
  • 1/2tsp of almond extract
  • 1 tsp lemon juice
  • zest of one lemon & more for garnish
  • dash of salt
  • 1 2/3 cups of flour
Cream butter & sugar then add eggs using a mixer. Add lemon extract, almond extract, lemon zest, and salt - mix well. Mix in flour about a 1/4 cup at a time until all of the flour is added.

Roll into a log just like your kids do when making snakes with their play dough. I roll my dough by first putting it out on a piece of wax paper the length of the wax paper and fold roll back and forth until it is some what roundish. Then I roll it up in the wax paper to finish the rolling. Then place the rolled wax paper wrapped dough in the refrigerator or freezer until chilled and slightly hardened. The roll should be about 2 inches in diameter.



Slice chilled dough to desired thickness between 1/4 and 1/2 inch thick. Bake at 350 degrees on a parchment lined cookie sheet for about 15-20 minutes until lightly browned. Allow to cool on cooling rack then eat. Yum.




Mix it up. Create your own flavors. Substitute vanilla and cinnamon for the lemon and almond for a spicy version. Be creative and have fun. Another idea is to add vanilla (rather than the lemon & almond) and then mix in some mini chocolate chips for a chocolate chip butter cookie.

8 comments:

Maria said...

I love butter cookies. I like lime or orange with little dark chocolate chips!! YUM!

girlsmama said...

Looks tasty! I'll have to try them out!

Chrissy said...

These look delish! I've linked to your post at One Crafty Place. Thanks for sharing!

Carrian said...

YUm!! I had to pop over and take a look. My family always used to eat butter cookies and I had completely forgotten about them over the years. Thanks for posting!

april~living the sweet life said...

Some how your comment was deleted but I wanted to make sure it was posted thanks!
April~Living The Sweet Life

"Hobby Cooking has left a new comment on your post "One Great Recipe * Lemon Butter Cookies":

Thank you for such amazing information....your recipes are really good....!!

catch me @ http://hobbycooking.blogspot.com"

Amber! said...

Thanks, April! They looks super yum.

Kristin said...

Mmmmmmmmmmmm. Those sound delicious. I love anything with lemon in it!

Olivia and Me said...

Hi hon! I'm new to your blog, but I did a google seach for light lemon butter cookies that hubs grew up with.. found these that just might work!

Thanks!!!

~Olivia