Monday

Find of The Week * My Life in France * Mastering the Art of French Cooking


I remember as a child watching Julia Child on PBS talking in her whimsical voice describing techniques for cooking this or that. As a child I had no idea the history behind this fascinating women. The movie Julie & Julia had my attention right away. As a blogger I had to see the movie but little did I know that I would fall in love with Julia. Since I had been in bed this week I have been reading My Life in France by Julia Child. Her cooking, her life, and her writing all inspire me to live a life full of happiness and passion.



The movie Julie & Julia also made me run out right away and by Julie Child's first cook book Mastering the Fine Art of Cooking as it did a lot of people. I bought the last copy at Borders Books the day the movie opened. Now I must tell you I am not a huge fan of cook books that don't have a lot of pictures to show you what the food is suppose to look like once you have it made but Julia Child's books are different. She describes in detail the techniques as well as what could go wrong and how to fix it. Because of this you are Mastering the Fine Art of French Cooking as you cook not just following simple recipes. I made my first poached egg following Julia's instructions and it was wonderful. Poached eggs are by far my favorite kind of eggs now. They are really good on a hardy wheat toast with fresh butter. Yum! I have been thinking about keeping you all up to date as we cook more of Julia's recipes. Next on my list is the Boeuf Bourguignon. Julie had a great idea when working her way through Julia Child's cook book in a blog and I would recommend it to all minus the aspics as Julie points out in the movie. Who on earth would eat an aspic anyway? Enjoy!

3 comments:

Whatever Dee-Dee wants said...

I wouldn't eat an aspic!

Heather said...

This book looks fantastic! I need to get it asap! Thanks!

Camille said...

I loved the movie! Will probably have to check out that book of Julia's :)