Wednesday

Lifestyle * Freezing Green Beans

Growing up dinners at my Grandma Bohman's house were always wonderful. My grandma is an amazing cook and part of the secret to her tasty food was her garden. She always had a large garden full of vegetables. Every year she cans, freezes or "puts up" vegetables from the garden for the rest of the year. Still at almost 93 and crippling arthritis grandma is canning something. It's in her blood. It's who she is. I can not even imaging her going one harvest without canning something and I'm sure can not image a harvest without it either. There is something comforting in the process of feeding your family from vegetables you grew. It means home. It means life. It's putting down roots for a time in a place.
I am so happy we now live in a house with a large garden and fruit trees. This year I am freezing green beans. It's very easy to do and I look forward to the months of yummy vegetables for dinner. Even with a couple of rows of green beans you can freeze some for the fall and winter months.


Right after picking your green beans rinse and cut. I left my green beans long because I think they look pretty on the plate.


Next put into boiling water. Boil for 3 minutes. This kills any bacteria and enzymes. I love the vibrant green they turn. Then put into a bowl of ice water for 3 minutes to stop the cooking process. Pat dry. Fill zip lock bags getting as much air as possible out of the bags. I fill the bags to a serving size for our family of four. I then put the smaller bags into a larger zip lock bag to prevent freezer burn. Label with date so we can use the oldest green beans first.
Green beans are one of the easiest vegetables to harvest and freeze. Enjoy!

No comments: